I don’t normally blog twice in one day but since we have a guest blogger tomorrow and so many of you have asked, I thought I would take a few minutes to post some foods that you should eat on a low-calorie diet. The list was provided to me by Huntsville Hospital Dietician Linda Steakley. I will post what I can today and the rest later this week.
So how many servings do you need?
Starches-at least 6 servings each day; have 2-3 servings per meal. One serving equals 15 grams of carbohydrate, 0-3 grams protein, 0-1 grams of fat and 80 calories.
One serving is:
* 1/2 cup cooked beans (black, garbanzo, kidney, lima, pinto) lentils or split peas
* 1 slice bread-whole wheat, white, pumpernickel, or rye
* 1 small tortilla or waffle
* 1/2 English muffin or small (6-inch) pita bread
* 1/2 hot dog or hamburger bun
* 1/4 bagel (1 oz)
* 3/4 cup unsweetened, ready-to-eat cereal
* 1/2 cup cooked cereal or bulgur
* 1/3 cup cooked pasta or rice
* 1/2 cup peas, corn, sweet potato or yam
* 1 small potato (3 oz)
* 3/4 oz pretzels
* 2-5 whole-wheat crackers (3/4 oz)
* 3 cups popcorn, popped, no fat added
* Choose whole-grain foods when possible*
Guideline-at least 2 servings a day. Have 1 serving per meal. One serving equals 15 grams carbohydrate, 0 grams protein, 0 grams fat and 60 calories.
One serving is:
* 1 small fresh fruit (4 oz)
* 1/2 cup canned fruit
* 2 Tbsp dried fruit
* 1/2 cup unsweetened fruit juice
* 3/4 cup blueberries or blackberries
* 1 cup cantaloupe or honeydew melon
* 17 small grapes
* 1 cup raspberries
* 1 1/4 cup whole strawberries
Guideline-at least 2 servings of fat-free or low-fat milk a day. One serving equals 12 grams carbohydrate and 8 grams protein.
100 calories and 0-3 grams fat:
* 1 cup fat-free (skim) or low-fat (1/2% or 1%) milk
* 6 oz or sugar-free nonfat yogurt (100 calories or less)
120 calories and 5 grams fat:
* 1 cup reduced-fat (2%) milk
* 6 oz plain reduced-fat yogurt
* 1 cup soy milk
160 calories and 8 grams fat:
* 1 cup whole milk
* 1 cup plain yogurt made with whole milk
Make good decisions when putting together your low calorie diet. This will help you I promise. Don’t forget, I will post the remaing food groups probably Thursday.